The narrator of this story has so far created two parallel plot lines, one describing his experiences as his former personality (before being psychologically cured), and the other following his cross-country motorcycle trip through the northern states. While I don't have much personal experience with schizophrenic alter egos, I can relate with the narrator's enjoyment of nature and love of exploring, which is a central theme of his journey.
As his ride takes him into the mountains of Montana, the narrator expresses a positive shift in mood and tone. The group has gotten through the uninteresting Dakota flat-lands and is making their way into the beauty of the Yellowstone region. The narrator describes a change is atmosphere as they progress, saying he knew they were near the mountains not be seeing them, but by a quality of the air. "There's mountain air in the room," he says, "It's cool and moist and almost fragrant." He can sense the closeness of pure nature by the way it makes him feel, and his anticipation to be surrounded by it overwhelms him. It seems as though his spirits increase with the elevation.
I found this expression of aesthetic appreciation relatable to my own experiences. When I go on hiking trips (mainly in the White Mountains of New Hampshire), I also find myself noticing an atmospheric and mental shift as I approach the destination. Realistically, this may be a result of improved air quality in this less urbanized area, but I believe this is also a product of relieved stress from, and personal enjoyment of nature and it's pureness. In this sense I found agreement with the authors feelings in the story.
Cool Jerry. You should read my blog about the book "Into Thin Air". I really Krakauer down on the subject of mountain climbing. I know from reading this book that the air does in-fact get thinner and less substantive as you climb higher.
ReplyDelete