When selecting my book for this independent reading project, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was not my first choice. I originally wanted to read Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer because I had read his other books and appreciate his writing. Fortunately for me though, my good friend Ben Parsons selected that book before me I was able to settle on Zen, which in hindsight, I prefer. Although the book itself is one of the more lengthy reading options, weighing it at 430 pages, and although the plot seems to be a little obscure on the surface, I believe I am going to enjoy this story thoroughly. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is held as a classic by it's many readers and is even my father's favorite book. I have read and heard only positive things about it and am excited to continue reading it.
The author of this book, Robert Pirsig, is a very interesting man in his own right. From an early age it was evident that he would go on to do great things. With an elevated IQ of 170, Pirsig graduated high school at age 15 in 1943. After failing out of college due to "philosophical differences" with his professors, he served in the army for two years, stationed in south Korea. He would return to finish his degree in eastern philosophy at the University of Montana. In 1961, while teaching a writing course, Pirsig suffered a mental breakdown and was later diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and treated with elextroconvulsive therapy. He spent a minority of the next two years in a psychiatric hospital. After writing Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in 1974, Pirsig became reclusive and solitary. However, he seemed as though he could not stay in one place. Since 1980, he has taken up residence in numerous European countries including Norway, Belgium, and England.
Sunday, May 18, 2014
An Inquiry into the Author
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey there Mr. Waite, I can definately relate to your friend Ben Parsons because he also helped me find my book "A Brief History of Time" for this independent reading project. He is quite of a genius. By the way, don't forget to ready my blog
ReplyDelete@ www.efalldabloggers.blogspot.com
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeleteGood job jare-bear. I love the use of italics in this passage, it really strengthens this post as a whole. The transformation from italicized lettering to normal font, touched me in more than a few ways. I find your reasoning for choosing this book to be very similar to mine, and thoroughly enjoyed the reference to myself (it was off the hook).
ReplyDeleteGood job jare-bear. I love the use of italics in this passage, it really strengthens this post as a whole. The transformation from italicized lettering to normal font, touched me in more than a few ways. I find your reasoning for choosing this book to be very similar to mine, and thoroughly enjoyed the reference to myself (it was off the hook).
DeleteDid u just use the word "Jare-Bear"? That ain't cool to call man.
Delete